Wednesday 20 June 2012

Owl Obsession


Yes, most of the lovely followers of this blog will have realised by now that I have A Thing About Owls.

Little felt owl brooches, crochet owl key rings, amigurumi owl toys, owls, owls, owls. And recently I've made some more owls. Would you like to meet them?


Here's an owl made with my free pattern, that was to be given away as a gift. I made a little owl tag saying it was an organic and fair trade owl, and giving the washing instructions and the address of my blog.  I do  like this pink and purple owl. I hope its new owner likes it as much as I do.


And here's a big fat cushion owl, made for my daughter. I took its photo next to a 'normal' sized owl so you can see how much bigger it is. I made this owl with some turquoise variegated wool for the bottom part and the wings, and bobbly turquoise cotton for the top. I was so pleased to find those buttons for the eyes. They add a bit more character, don't you think?


I used some more organic fair trade cotton yarn (Debbie Bliss eco aran) to make this owl hat. I used a simple ear flat hat pattern and added eyes, "ears" and a beak to transform it into an owl . I used this pattern, but there are plenty of free earflap hat patterns available. The ties aren't as long as I'd have liked, but I ran out of yarn! I can't buy that yarn around here, unfortunately, and I only had one ball of each colour so had to make do. But I think it looks OK. It's for a two-year-old.


I even like books about owls. I still have two of my children's books about owls: One in English called Owl Babies that now comes with a free DVD, which YES!!! is also available online. It is so cute. The other book about owls is in French and its title is Onze Petites Chouettes (Eleven little owls). This book is so beautifully illustrated, here are some photos I took of the wonderfully detailed illustrations for you to enjoy: 









Toowhit toowhooo!

4 comments:

  1. oh my those owls are just soooooo cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful!! I like owls too :)
    You have an awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel this "owl obsession", I'm a teacher in preschool in France and in my classroom we read "onze petites chouettes" and other books, we're making owls in "pâte à modeler" and so on...
    my pupils (is that the correct word ?) are 3 and 4 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are your pupils. I'm glad they are also enjoying that wonderful book.

      Delete